Toronto is home to 20 of the top 25 hottest Canadian startups to work for now.
That’s according to LinkedIn’s Canadian edition of the 2019 Top Startups list featuring the most sought-after startups where professionals want to work and stay.
“With the 2nd annual Top Startups ranking, we uncover the breakout companies commanding professionals’ attention today: the ones that are growing massively, scrambling industries, shifting talent flows around the world and, often, altering how we work and live,” Jessi Hempel, senior editor at large at LinkedIn, says in a blog announcing the list.
The three trends for this year’s list are democratizing access to health practitioners for patients, honing-in on niche audiences to cater to their financial needs and servicing cannabis users in Canada, LinkedIn notes. These are the most sought-after startups on LinkedIn right now:
1. Element AI builds artificial intelligence-powered software for enterprises, including its first publicly available product that helps automate document reading and processing for businesses. Location: Montreal, Que.
2. Wealthsimple aims to make investing simple and accessible to everyone by combining human financial advisors along with a low-fee, diverse portfolio that minimizes risks. Location: Toronto
3. Clearbanc, which aims to invest $1 billion across 2,000 companies this year, provides anywhere from $10,000 to $10 million to help young companies expand their marketing efforts and, ultimately, revenue. Location: Toronto
4. Cannabis Compliance Inc. is one of Canada’s first consulting firms to advise on regulatory issues around cannabis. The startup helps companies gain government approvals and stay compliant, while also offering training for professionals wanting to break into the industry. Location: Mississauga
5. League has built a one-stop app for employees to access their lifestyle and health care benefits, streamlining everything from insurance details to unique company perks in an easy-to-use hub. Location: Toronto
LinkedIn measures startups based on four pillars: employment growth, engagement, job interest and attraction of top talent. It removed LinkedIn and Microsoft from consideration for the LinkedIn Top Startups list, as it does with all other lists in the editorial franchise. Rounding out the list of top 25 startups and their location:
6. Drop, Toronto
7. Connected, Toronto
8. Dialogue, Montreal
9. Integrate.AI, Toronto
10. Ritual, Toronto
11. Mejuri, Toronto
12. Ada, Toronto
13. PathFactory, Toronto
14. OpenCare, Toronto
15. Flybits, Toronto
16. Certarus, Calgary, Alta.
17. StackAdapt, Toronto
18. Loopio, Toronto
19. Collective Arts Brewing, Hamilton
20. Ample Organics, Toronto
21. Swift Medical, Toronto
22. Borrowell, Toronto
23. Greenhouse, Toronto
24. #paid, Toronto
25. Venngage, Toronto