The City of Toronto held its fourth annual Toronto Sport Hall of Honour induction ceremony April 4 at the Toronto Pan Am Sports Centre.
Paralympian Stéphanie Dixon, boxing great George Chuvalo, swimming star Kylie Masse and college basketball player (and professional basketball prospect) Rowan Barrett Jr. are among the 18 new inductees.
The following are this year’s Toronto Sport Hall of Honour inductees in each of the 11 categories:
• Athletes of the Year: Kylie Masse and Rowan Barrett Jr.
• Special Olympics Athlete of the Year: Monique Shah
• Para-Athlete of the Year: Greg Westlake
• Builders: Adrian Teodorescu, Cecil Smith and Fred Foot
• Corporate Builder: Jays Care Foundation
• Team of the Year: Seneca College Men’s Basketball team
• Coach of the Year: Jay McNeilly
• City of Sport Lifetime Achievement: Evelyn Koop
• Sport Legends: George Chuvalo and Stéphanie Dixon
• Spirit of Sport: Diversity and Inclusion: Faye Blackwood and Curtis Carmichael
• Community Sport Volunteers: Abeir Liton, Rhonda Lewis and Howard Birnie
“The achievements of this wonderful group of inductees inspire other Torontonians to get and stay active through sport. This city’s sport community has made countless contributions to the social fabric of Toronto over the years. On behalf of all Toronto residents, congratulations to the contributors and remarkable athletes recognized with this honour in 2019,” said Mayor John Tory.
The Toronto Sport Hall of Honour is a legacy initiative of the City of Toronto’s Host City Showcase Program from the Toronto 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games. Nominations for next year’s Toronto Sport Hall of Honour are open until October. Nomination forms as well as the 2019 inductee’s photos and bios are available at toronto.ca/tshh.
Photo: Team of the Year: Seneca College Men’s Basketball team