The 2019 Scotiabank Giller Prize shortlist was recently announced, celebrating six Canadian writers and the 26th edition of the Prize.
The 2019 Scotiabank Giller Prize shortlist is:
- David Bezmozgis for his short story collection Immigrant City, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd.
- Megan Gail Coles for her novel Small Game Hunting at the Local Coward Gun Club, published by House of Anansi Press
- Michael Crummey for his novel The Innocents, published by Doubleday Canada
- Alix Ohlin for her novel Dual Citizens, published by House of Anansi Press
- Steven Price for his novel Lampedusa, published by McClelland & Stewart
- Ian Williams for his novel Reproduction, published by Random House Canada
“This year’s shortlist shows that Canadian fiction is clearly at the top of its game. These six books will captivate and enthrall and deserve to be read and read widely. The authors have rightfully earned their spots as finalists for this year’s Scotiabank Giller Prize,” said Elana Rabinovitch, Executive Director, Scotiabank Giller Prize.
CBC is pleased to announce the Juno Award winning singer-songwriter, broadcaster, actress and author Jann Arden as the host of the Scotiabank Giller Prize Gala on November 18. Arden has won eight Juno Awards and has written four books including Falling Backwards (2011) and Feeding My Mother (2017). Arden is also the star of Jann, one of Canada’s most popular comedy TV series. Arden was also inducted into the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame.
The 2019 Scotiabank Giller Prize gala will broadcast live on CBC at 9 p.m. A livestream will begin at 9 p.m. on CBC Books and the free CBC Gem streaming service. The gala will also be available as a broadcast special on CBC Radio One at 9 p.m.
The Scotiabank Giller Prize is pleased once again to present our Between the Pages series of readings, featuring this year’s shortlisted authors.
Between the Pages: An Evening with the Scotiabank Giller Prize Finalists will take you inside the minds and creative lives of the writers on the 2019 shortlist.
The Between the Pages tour will stop in the following locations: Ottawa – October 16; Halifax – October 18; Vancouver – October 21; Winnipeg – October 23; Toronto – October 28; and New York – October 30.
For more information about the Between the Pages tour, visit: www.scotiabankgillerprize.ca/between-the-pages